Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: A trippy drum n bass groove

  1. #1
    Inactive Member Lee Collins's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 14th, 2004
    Posts
    1,253
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hehe, well, it's a bit of fun. I was messing around on a school kit today and decided to attempt a sort of DnB groove. It's done to a click at 158bpm although because I was playing busy and it's quite a fast tempo, it doesn't sit like jo jo mayer would make it sit! Kinda pushy. Oh, I've added a sweeping phaser type of effect for fun n giggles. [img]biggrin.gif[/img]

    http://jamesseph.phpwebhosting.com/DRuM's%20Stuff/DnB%20type%20groove.mp3

  2. #2
    Inactive Member Suspiria's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 16th, 2004
    Posts
    1,358
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Nice playing Rudy!
    At around 0:30 it sounds VERY solid. The pattern on the ride goes very well with the effects you chose, I enjoyed it.

    On the 20th I'll be seeing Jojo, so now I can compare [img]cool.gif[/img]

    <font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ May 10, 2005 09:51 PM: Message edited by: Suspiria ]</font>

  3. #3
    Inactive Member tombo74's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 5th, 2003
    Posts
    584
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Good playing Rudy!

    And talking about D&B grooves, forgive my ignorance, but in which musical style/setting are those beats used? I always hear drummers play this stuff by themselves. Are they normally played by machines?

  4. #4
    Inactive Member Suspiria's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 16th, 2004
    Posts
    1,358
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Drum 'n' bass is a musical style in itself. You are right in saying that it usually consists of electronically programmed beats. Rudy referred to Jojo Mayer because he is a drummer that performs this style of music with a live-band and of course on real drums.

  5. #5
    Inactive Member Lee Collins's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 14th, 2004
    Posts
    1,253
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Yes, and suspiria, when you see jo jo, whatever you do, don't compare him to me. I can only wish to play a millionth of an 1/8th like him! [img]biggrin.gif[/img]

  6. #6
    Inactive Member Suspiria's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 16th, 2004
    Posts
    1,358
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Haha, only kidding Rudy - you know that.
    I will actually be seeing him in a trio setting called "Depart". I had never heard of them, but what from what I read they were once together during the ninetees and took an extended break. I am not sure of drum n bass grooves will be part of the show, but either way I am sure my jaw will be on the ground for most of the gig.

  7. #7
    cjbdrm
    Guest cjbdrm's Avatar

    Post

    Nice job Rudy! I know you don't play this stuff all the time- if you spent some more time with this it would really be killing- you've got the facility...

    Maybe intersperse some "drums and bass" type fills. I really liked where you were going towards the end there!

    I would also recommend practicing playing this stuff as if you were playing a tune- with distinct sections- 4 or 8 bars, etc. Try constructing a tune with an intro, verse, chorus, etc. You know- play a groove, fill, variation, go to the ride, whatever...maybe practice trading 4's with yourself too...

    You could probably program/write some simple bass and keyboard lines to practice to if you really want to get into this.

    So are you also speeding up your James Brown records to practice to?

    [img]wink.gif[/img]

  8. #8
    Inactive Member Lee Collins's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 14th, 2004
    Posts
    1,253
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Haha, no, I didn't speed up james brown, I just listened to a bit of jo jo's 'nerve' and took my ideas from that. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

  9. #9
    Inactive Member CLWarunki's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 21st, 2004
    Posts
    1,475
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Rudy, lay off the drugs mate.

    [img]tongue.gif[/img]

    Yeah that was pretty cool, and trippy... my only suggestion would have been to up the tempo a bit, or a lot. You'll notice a lot of D&B is super fast... remember James Brown grooves at 220 bpm!!!

    [img]wink.gif[/img]

  10. #10
    Inactive Member LDGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 30th, 2004
    Posts
    382
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Cool. I can't wait until i can record something - we could do a cyber drum battle!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •